Thursday 3 March 2011

Echoes From The Dead

Just finished my second book as part of the Great Transworld Crime Caper.
This time i was reading Echoes From The Dead by Johan Theorin.
This is the first time I have read any work by a scandanavian writer, and at first I found the language a little difficult to get my head around. But as I started to read further into the beginning chapters , the characters Julia and Gerlof started becoming intriguing as there fraught relationship came tumbling out of the pages.
A tragedy that occured some years previously in the shape of Julia's son disappearing and then a sudden reminder occuring in a lost sandal being sent to Gerlof his grandfather , made an heartfelt reunion come about. The fraught relationship between father and daughter added such a importantness to the story and helped to define an underlying plot in the mystery that surrounded Nils Kant.
These two mysteries years apart, collided together and brought about answers that I wasn't expecting and an exciting finale to the story.
This is a well written mystery and I would read more of Theorin's novels and recommend them to anyone who likes a mystery/thriller to read.
The story was gritty , atmospheric and pulled at the heartstrings to give sympathy to all the characters which surprised me , as when I first started reading the book my first impression of Nils Kant was not exactly desirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment