Saturday 5 March 2011

The Reef

Just finished reading the book The Reef by Nora Roberts. I'm not sure I will be reading any of her work again. This book was a struggle to get into, with very small print and a slow starting plot. The characters at first were uninteresting and the plot was all terms and not much story. However the story moves on to five years later and all of a sudden the story is in fast forward. The characters seem to have grown and a romantic and sexual chemistry between the two main characters has not only developed, it has come full circle and almost takes up the plot.

The Reef focuses on shipwrecks and scavenging, historical marine archaeology and a lot of diving. The main focus is the character Matthew and his desire for revenge against an evil scavenger, who destroyed his life as a young man. However falling in love with Tate not only was unexpected , it also was short-lived until they meet again five years later. Here the story starts to get exciting, as they find a wreck and treasure. There is a race for a certain amulet and kidnapping, subterfuge and a thrilling conclusion.

Though I enjoyed the book at the end, I won't be in a hurry to read Nora Roberts again. If a friend passed a Nora Robert's book to me then I would probably read it, but I wouldn't personally rush out and buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment